The Mark Initiative’s Leader-in-Residence Program brings an experienced in-house lawyer or c-suite executive of a multi-national corporation or major public institution to the Law School to teach a seminar. During their residence, the Leader-in-Residence also provides career advice to students and participates in the Mark Initiative's programming as well as activities of the broader Columbia University community. The goal of the program is to bring leaders to campus who have had first-hand experience with the challenges of building organizational policies and practices premised on ethical values and optimal work environments.
- Pierre Gentin, current chief legal officer of McKinsey and Company, served as the Leader-in-Residence in the Spring of 2023. Mr. Gentin taught a course titled "Aspiration and Action: The Role of the Chief Legal Officer."
- Sheila Cheston, current corporate vice president and general counsel for Northrop Grumman Corporation, served as the Leader-in-Residence in the Fall of 2022. Mrs. Cheston taught a course titled "The Role of the General Counsel in the Modern Economy."
- Marie Oh Huber, current Senior Vice President and Chief Legal Officer of eBay Inc. and former SVP and General Counsel at Agilent Technologies, served as the Leader-in-Residence in the Spring of 2022. Mrs. Huber taught a course titled "The Role of the General Counsel in the Modern Economy."
- Bruce Sewell, former Senior Vice President, General Counsel and Secretary of Apple, Inc., served as the inaugural Leader-in-Residence in the Spring of 2019. Mr. Sewell taught a course titled "Leadership and Organizational Character: The Role of Inside Counsel."
- Hilary Krane, Executive Vice President, Chief Administrative Officer and General Counsel of Nike, Inc. followed Mr. Sewell, serving as the Leader-in-Residence in the Fall of 2019 and teaching a course titled "Becoming a Trusted Advisor: The Role of the General Counsel in the Modern Multi-National Corporation."
- Colin Stretch, former Vice President and General Counsel of Facebook, Inc., served as the Leader-in-Residence in the Spring of 2020 and will return for a second term in the Spring of 2021. Mr. Stretch will teach his popular course titled “The Role of the General Counsel in the Modern Economy.”
- James Comey, former director of the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation, served as the senior research scholar in 2013 and Leader-in-Residence in the Spring of 2021. Mr. Comey taught a seminar entitled, "“Lawyers and Leaders”.